Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Biggest Batch Yet!

A few posts ago I mentioned spinning 16 ounces of merino at once. Would you like to see? Of course you would!

I wish I had taken a  picture of the wool in the braids. I did four four-ounce braids that I got at a fiber fair a few weeks ago from an indie dyer who is in my knit group. I saw the colorway and almost died, I wanted it so badly!

Here it is all spun up into singles (actually this is only about half of it):


And here is the first bit plied up on the bobbin:


Here's the first half plied:


And skeined:


The funny thing is, I had only bough eight ounces of it, but I loved spinning it so much that I started to make grand plans for it, and based on the yardage I got from the eight ounces I decided I needed to double it, so here's my full sixteen ounces all done:



I got 412 yards of bulky weight yarn out of it (before setting the twist. I haven't done that and my yardage will probably decrease a bit once I've washed and set it). The colors are truest in the center of the last picture.

I think this needs to be a hat, mitten, and scarf set to match my brown coat. I'd never use this yarn on anyone but myself, it's so pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment