Friday, September 12, 2014

New Things Are Terrifying

I've wanted to write about my new job situation all week, but I wanted to wait a week so that I could see how I felt. After the first two days, I was overwhelmed and feared I may have made a huge mistake, but now that I have worked for a week there I feel much, much better.

I'd been toying with the idea of a new job for quite a while, but since I was already employed and wasn't desperate for any job, I had the luxury of waiting until something perfect rolled around. What I have isn't perfect, but it's just what I need right now.

I won't reveal where I work so openly on the internet, but I'll tell you a few things about the company that I really like.

It's a much larger company than the one I came from; global, in fact. And I find it amazing that I'm working with products that I've used before with confidence. Actually, they're products that every person I've ever known uses all the time. How cool is that?!

The lab is much larger than the one I came from, with much more equipment and more employees.

Some things are done the same as at my old lab, since both labs are regulated by a lot of the same laws and agencies. There are, of course, adjustments.

I was terrified for the first few days...terrified that I had made a horrible, horrible mistake. I felt like I was in over my head. But, after a few days of learning new things, I feel like I made a good decision. This is going to be so good for me and my career. I feel like here, I will have the opportunity to become a better, more well-rounded chemist, to become more experienced, and to stretch and spread my wings so that someday I might fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment