Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Paid Off! And Vegetables!

So a few weeks ago I was talking with Boyfriend and he asked me, "...So...how broke are you?" And I was all like "Not."

But even though I wasn't broke per se, I felt like I was having a hard time with debt, because I had quite a balance on my credit card (and by quite a balance I mean like $2,000, which is a lot for me).

And then, even though the conversation moved on, I spent the next week or so obsessing over it. Because that's how I roll. Worry, worry, worry.

I've been spending way too much money on going out to eat. I hate cooking; you all know that. And when I do cook, it's easy stuff like macaroni and cheese from a box or freezer things you microwave. And that gets old and boring, so I tend to go out and get a cheeseburger instead. Also, dating is inherently expensive.

So I decided to do two things: start getting Bountiful Baskets again and start cooking at home, and sell stuff I didn't need.

As far as selling stuff, I have some stuff that is valuable but I don't want to sell, such as my old wedding rings. Call me nostalgic, but I kinda want to keep them to remember all the good times by. It's not like it was a bad marriage. But then I have some stuff of value that I wasn't even using, such as my spinning wheel.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it or not. I hadn't spun in like a year, not since the alpaca fiasco of 2013. And a few months ago I went to a fiber festival with a friend and brought my wheel, and while I was spinning there, I was just so bored with it. I didn't want to do it. I don't like it anymore, and I want to spend more time knitting and less time spinning the yarn so I can then knit it.

So I decided to sell it. I put an ad up on a Ravelry for sale thread and within two days I had a buyer. I sold my wheel and all its accessories, spindles, niddy noddy, and all my spinning fiber for a total of $950. I shipped it off to the buyer (and didn't have to pay shipping) and then got the money into my Paypal account, and then I was sitting pretty.

Then I got my regular paycheck, and that along with the money from the wheel plus a bit from my savings account added up to a nice chunk of money and I completely paid off my credit card.

Now I'm going to switch back to cash only. The card will be there in case of emergencies, but I'm not going to use it much anymore.

Back to the  Bountiful Baskets:

I've been so excited to see what I get every week, and it's been fun and satisfying to figure out what to eat for each meal and how to work in all the food so nothing goes to waste. I'm eating most of it raw, to be honest, so there's actually not much cooking involved after all, and with the money I'm saving by bringing lunch to work every day instead of going out, it's pretty much paying for itself.

Plus I'm eating vegetables every day which is kinda revolutionary for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment