Friday, December 28, 2012

Night Christmas

This year Em and Jorg wanted to spend Christmas morning with Jason, so we decided to get the whole family together that night for Night Christmas. It's the same as Christmas Morning except we ate tacos and then opened presents at night.

It was SO MUCH FUN!

Scott and I got a present or two for each person from their Amazon wishlists, and then I made a handmade something for each person as well. For Mim I made a scarf and mittens (first time I've ever made mittens!) made from my handspun. For Scott I made a beanie, and for Isaac a greyish blue scarf. For Kwiddens I made this awesome navy blue chunky scarf, and for Nyah I made a little pink ruffle purse (filled with gummi bears, of course). For Em, since she is learning to crochet, I spun some red and black yarn (her favorite colors). I didn't try anything super fancy, since I had to make ALL THE THINGS, and I didn't start until the end of November (oops), but maybe next year I'll try something more commensurate with my skill level.

Scott, of course, got me about a zillion things off of my wishlist per tradition (tons of CDs, a few books, season one of Being Human (with the hottest actor I know of)(I mean, yum, right?), a coaster and keyring with the periodic table on them, another row counter for knitting, and some earrings). Mim got me a half-pound of the most delicious rosy pink merino silk to spin. Em is making me a hat and scarf. Kwiddens got me some CDs and a POUND York...it's huge. I have no idea how I'm going to eat it. I think that's about everything...I may have forgotten a thing or two (I did make out like a bandit this Christmas, I have to say).

I'm really lucky that I enjoy spending holiday time with my family. I know a lot of people don't get along well with their family members and it makes holidays stressful, but with our group we just relax and hang out, doing pretty much whatever we want to. Want to watch a movie? Cool! Want to play a game? Cool! Want to sit and do nothing? Also cool! Seriously, with our family, anything goes because we're so relaxed like that.

Back before the divorce, Christmas (and basically all other holidays) was so stressful. Everything had to be scheduled. Everything had to be perfect. Everything, everything, everything. Jason was always grumpy, even when we went to a lot of trouble to think of the perfect gifts for him. He would still just sit in the corner with a scowl on his face and throw a fit when we wanted him to open his gifts from all of us. I talked to Emilee about it, and apparently that's all he did this Christmas, too. I miss him sometimes, and sometimes I wish we had a better relationship, but I remember things like this and realize that our family gatherings are happier and more loving now, and that's about the best consequence of a divorce situation I can imagine.

2 comments:

  1. I declare night Christmas a success! I hope you took or are taking pictures of your York to show off its immensity. That's a word, right? I loff you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your Christmas went well! It sounds amazing. I love Amazon wishlist shopping!

    ReplyDelete