Monday, February 24, 2014

Emotional Health: Check!

I know it's been quite a while since I've written anything here. Life's been too busy, or too slow, or a mixture of the two that makes no sense. In fact, a lot of things still don't make sense. What does make sense is that my life is completely figured out at this point, and I'm doing very, very well.

In fact, I've been doing so well that when someone made a comment about my needing to take my own advice the other day it royally pissed me off.

A friend had called me and was needing to vent about a previous relationship and how it was affecting his current mindset. I offered some of my experiences and some advice and he basically said something like "Well it sounds like you're offering advice you ought to take yourself". I don't remember the exact wording.

But I was like...no. And I said that. "No, _______, I have my shit together."

And I do. I truly do. Do I still hurt sometimes? Yeah, of course. Who wouldn't in my situation? Does that mean my life is a mess? Hell, no.

It's interesting and sort of ironic: I'm the one who is bipolar, but I'm the most emotionally healthy person I know. Why is that? I'm guessing it stems from years upon years upon years of therapy, self-help literature, experiences (both my own and those of other people), and having to keep a constant, close eye on exactly what I am feeling at every single moment (and analyzing why I am feeling the way I am). You don't spend that much time and effort working on your emotional health and have nothing to show for it.

I've worked so hard in many areas of my life but when someone attacks my emotional health...well, that's just ridiculous. Nobody's perfect, but I'm better off than most.

No comments:

Post a Comment