Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Notions Bag For The Friend Who Sold Me A Crapload Of Yarn


Just the other day my friend R. was cleaning out her yarn stash to make room for her big move down to a smaller apartment in Salt Lake, and so I went over to dig through it and she sold me a crapload of yarn for just a few dollars!

Anyway, one of the skeins she sold me was this:


It's Noro Daria, a discontinued cotton/rayon blend, almost like a thin cord. It's shiny.


She told me that she had originally bought it because she wanted to crochet a little notions bag with it, but um...she doesn't crochet. So she said "What was I thinking??" and sold it to me!

So I, of course, being the sneaky friend I am, decided to make her a little notions bag with it.

First I crocheted a simple little pouch:


Next, I took a zipper and two squares of matching fabric and sewed them together with my machine:


Once the zipper was on, I just sewed the two fabric squares into a little pouch, slightly bigger than the pouch I crocheted (I know, that sounds backwards, but it works out better that way. You want the bag itself to support the weight of whatever is inside, not the lining).


Next was the magic trick. Well, it seemed like magic because I was feeling confused and hopeless because I'd never done something like this and though making the pouch was easy, and making the lining was easy, I had NO IDEA how to actually attach them together.

It turns out, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. It took some dexterity, but I pulled it off by hand-stitching the lining into the bag. If you don't look too closely, it's invisible. If you do look closely, it looks like a three-year-old sewed it together, but I think my friend won't mind. It just makes it more special, right? *snigger*

Anyway, so here it is with the lining and zipper installed:



The end! I'll give it to her on Thursday when I go to knit night.

No comments:

Post a Comment